WRITE A PERSONAL SUPPORT LETTER
One powerful way you can take action is to write and submit a personal letter to the Bureau of Land Management. These letters go a long way to showing lawmakers why the Methow Headwaters is special and unique, and deserves this level of protection.
We appreciate the time you take to do these – thank you!
Written comments should be sent to:
Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
P.O. Box 2965
Portland, OR 97208-2965
Here is some guidance to get you started:
- Share your personal connection to the Methow Valley – what you do for a living, how did you come here, why did you stay…
- Share why you think the Methow Valley is worth protecting – what do you love about the Methow, do you ski, hike, bike, fish or hunt in the Methow Headwaters area?
- Share your concerns about mining activities in the headwaters – water pollution, critical habitat disturbance, new road infrastructure through trails you use…
- State what you want to see happen in the headwaters. Consider using the following statement: “I support a 20-year administrative mineral withdrawal for the Methow Headwaters. Ultimately, I would like to see this place permanently protected through a legislative mineral withdrawal.”
Here is more information about Methow Headwaters, and material you may find useful in writing a personalized letter in support of the withdrawal. Some important ideas to include:
- Support for the effort comes from a broad and diverse group representing the business community, civic leaders, local organizations, recreation and conservation groups, agriculture, tribes, and a large number of individuals that include full- and part-time residents and valley visitors.
- The negative impact that large-scale mining would have on the area’s resources, including water.
- The conflict and damage that large-scale mining would cause to the local economy, which depends on clean water, scenic landscapes and a thriving tourism and recreation-based economy.